In a present-day organization there are hundreds and thousands employees using customary workstations along with modern notebooks, tablet PCs and smartphones. Also using employees’ private devices for work increases.
It makes necessary to solve a lot of unusual tasks for the organization:
- To provide using applications on devices of different types, working on different operating systems.
- To keep security requirements and prevent probable data leakage caused by device loss or unauthorized actions of employees.
- To provide user access to data and applications from any place including employees’ home computers.
- To standardize configuration of workstations and simplify their maintenance.
- To deploy endpoints for temporary employees quickly enough.
- To separate operating system from user data to provide easy updating or reinstalling operating system.
Virtual desktops infrastructure is the complex solution using up-to-date technologies and approaches:
- Providing user with virtual workstation, to which he can connect both from his workplace and from any remote device.
- Flexible control over transferring data and using peripherals to keep security policies. When data are not stored on the user’s workstation the information cannot leak in case of theft.
- Use of the newest technologies Microsoft Widows Server and Citrix XenDesktop allows developing the most powerful and scalable solutions for workstations virtualization.
- Using thin clients allows saving expenditures for hardware procurement and providing the most simple configuring and maintaining workstations.
- Application virtualization using App-V allows their quick installation and updating on virtual machines and workstations.
- Developing geographically distributed infrastructure provides quick and data loss free work continuation in case of failure of the whole site or separate datacenter.
Approach to desktop and application virtualization often requires changing approach to storing and using data and profiles of users. In dynamic infrastructure previous approaches become inefficient while new tools give possibilities for more efficient solutions.
- Virtualization of user environment – tools for automatic synchronizing parameters of user interface and applications between devices regardless of operating system version.
- Centralizing storing data folders on reliable file storages providing users with transparent work with documents without network access. Furthermore, centralized resource is more convenient to use for data backup.